Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Paintings

A few months ago, my friend Lamb and I moved to the DC/Virginia area, to further our painting education under master artist Robert Liberace. It's been a great experience so far, my studies with Rob feel like a natural  continuation of my previous education under Will Weston, Glenn Vilppu and Adrian Gottlieb. 

The biggest challenge for me has been to focus on intensely capturing the character of the model, and maintaining a high level of energy throughout the painting process. Rob is a really enthusiastic, inspiring teacher. His work sets an incredibly high standard and he is able to pinpoint exactly what is going wrong with a painting. 

Anyway, Lamb and I are taking his class again this term and we're super excited! 

The figures below were done in his class. These are some of my better efforts at thoroughly modeling the form and strong, varied color like my hero, Fortuny. The landscape is a study of a backyard in Tijuana, Mexico, done right before I left for DC. I'm excited to visit my hometown again in the summer and work in the beautifully intense desert light.




No comments: