Monday, May 11, 2009

Dean Cornwell copy








Anyone who's read this blog for 5 minutes already knows that I'm a BIG Cornwell fan....I mean, really big. Anyway, For my Drawing and Rendering for Theater class I was allowed to choose any assignment as a final, so I decided I would finally copy a Cornwell. In the past, I had been intimidated by the sheer brilliance and spontaneity of his work, but I decided to go for it.

The copy was really instructive, Cornwell was not only an amazing painter, he was a hell of a designer. I hope that someday my pictures will have the same carrying power and broadness of vision that his have, not to mention all the character he injects into...well..... everything!

2 comments:

Maxine Schacker said...

Thanks for introducing me to Dean Cornwell. I'm sure I've seen his work - we have a collection of early magazines- but somehow he escaped my attention. It's interesting to think about the differences between painting for illustration and fine art painting.

Alex said...

So very intense! I love the expressions and the little blue shoe that catches your eye. I'm going to look up the original right now.

-Kitty