Tuesday, June 10, 2008

courage

I was reading a pdf of notes on a lecture by Harvey Dunn (Dean Cornwell's teacher and a student of Howard Pyle) and he mentions that there is no place for fear in art. He also said that sometimes, the things that seem the hardest to paint come without great difficulty, because the attitude of humility one adopts in that situation is more conducive to good painting. So I went outside for a bit today and decided to tackle whatever looked interesting, not giving a damn if it was hard or not....so I came upon this random corner of our house....I was intimidated by the pine tree and the bush/plant thing beneath it, there was so much to mix!

However, the gods of painting took pity on me and let me do a decent job here, with minimal pain....in fact, the hardest part was painting the damn pillar, because my hand wasn't cooperating on the whole straightness thing (which it's usually pretty good about). Anyway, I tried to work on my edges while painting the tree, but my darkest darks came out a bit too light because I painted in the shade again...must find new way of painting outdoors and not getting skin cancer :)

1 comment:

Betsy Bauer said...

I think you did a really great job with massing and edges on this one. In fact, my biggest critique is just with clarity. I can see the pine tree and post very clearly, but when it gets to the bush in the foreground, I'm starting to get a little confused. I can see parts of it, but I'm not really sure what that is coming out of the bush.

Still, I commend you for trying something so challenging! :)