Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's cooking time!




haha yes, that's my tentative title for this painting :) This is the painting I told you about, the one I was worrying about overworking....I managed to keep some of my more painterly strokes on the pot thing, but the 3rd tomato got a little overworked....I screwed up part of the board, I got the perspective right in the under-drawing, but screwed up when painting..lesson for next time!

Anyway, this was inspired by Pieter Claesz and William Claesz Heda's still lifes, really amazing. I'm fairly satisfied with this painting, I think it shows improvement in my handling of color/value and maybe even edges, and the drawing is ok for the most part..i think I spot some wonkiness on the bottle....

anyway, starting a new one soon....although I'm almost certain this one is going to be part of my Art Center portfolio....my comic book deadline's been extended to June 1st!

Edit: better picture and added a detail, still a lot of lens distortion though (see bottle)

3 comments:

Betsy Bauer said...

Damn, you make me want to pull out my oils and start painting. This is really beautiful. You should be proud!

monohate said...

Great self critique mate, keep going :-). Thanks for inspiration again.

Chris said...

I said this to you already but THAT POT is just OUT OF THIS WORLD.
I am in love.